Date of birth: 02/05/1998 (18 years old)
Place of birth: Hamburg (Germany)
Youth career: SC Sperber, Eintracht Norderstedt, FC St. Pauli, Hamburger SV (since 2013)
Current club: Hamburger SV
Squad number: 25
Current national team: Germany U-19
Position: attacking midfielder, winger, second striker
Preferred foot: left
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): 100.000 €
Tournaments participated in: 2015 UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification elite round (2/0), 2015 UEFA European Under-17 Championship (4/0), 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup (4/0)
Contract until: 30.06.2019
Player’s agent: PRO Profil GmbH
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Zoran Tošić
– set pieces
– aerial duels
– needs to improve his strength to endure strongest defenders
Style of play:
– explosive winger/wide forward
– suitable to play on both wings (preferably on the right as an ‘inverted winger’)
– creative player with very good technical ability, 1vs1 short-dribbling skills, close ball control, fast direction shifts in possession and vision to make through passes to the teammates providing dynamism to the team’s last offensive third plays
– likes to dribble
– often uses his skills and speed to beat defenders, cut inside and create himself a decent opportunity to score from
– extremely dangerous on the counter thanks to his pace and acceleration
– known for his “quick feet”, speed of movement and dynamism
– plays with a natural flair and is dangerous in the box
– very strong in 1v1 situations, unpredictable and very confident of his skills
– excellent balance, coordination and changes of pace
– often makes surging runs into penalty box
– avoids using weaker foot
– gets fouled often
– competent set-piece taker
– all-action and energetic
He is best suited to playing as:
Right winger in 4-3-3.
2015 UEFA European Under-17 Championship runner-up with Germany.
League summary (as for 28 September 2016):
No senior team appearances yet.
Mats Köhlert joined Hamburger SV youth system in 2013 from FC St. Pauli. He showed himself to a wider crowd at the 2015 European Under-17 Championship, where Germany won a silver medal. Few months later, he represented his country at the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup, where young “Mannschaft ” unexpectedly lost to Croatia in the round of 16. Currently he is a member of Germany U-19 side. In the summer of 2016, he was promoted to the first team of HSV and got the jersey number 25. It seems to be only a matter of time before he makes his Bundesliga debut.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European club.