Date of birth: 30/06/1998 (18 years old)
Place of birth: Lyon (France)
Youth career: Athletic Club De Villeurbanne, Olympique Lyon (since 2009)
Current club: Olympique Lyon
Squad number: 24
Current national team: France U-19
Position: central midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger, second striker
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: UEFA Youth League 2015/2016 (5/0), UEFA Youth League 2016/2017 (3/1)
Contract until: 30.06.2019
Player’s agent: Mondial Promotion
Transfer rumours: Arsenal, Liverpool
Similar type of player: Christian Eriksen
– ball control
– first touch
– should improve some aspects of his game such as defensive reliability and consistency
– tends to be a little selfish when on the ball
– aerial duels
Style of play:
– highly technical and creative modern attacking midfielder/advanced playmaker/playmaker
– attacking movement, positional sense, and ability to interpret the game, which, combined with his pace, mobility and energy, enables him to make effective attacking runs to beat the defensive line
– capable both of creating chances for team-mates, as well as scoring goals himself, due to his vision and ability to play off of other players
– fast, and opportunistic player, with excellent reactions
– likes to dribble
– likes to use tricks and skills to remain in possession of the ball
– exceptional precision when passing and shooting
– very good in combination play
– known for his dribbling skills and close control in limited spaces
– likes to be fielded in a free role as an attacking midfielder, where he is given space to roam the pitch
– creative at his off-the-ball movements, and likes to find the best space to receive the ball with good timings, linking up the team’s midfield and attack
– possesses fantastic close control that allows him to drift pass defenders with ease
– very strong in 1v1 situations, unpredictable and very confident of his skills
He is best suited to playing as:
Attacking midfielder in 4-2-3-1.
French championship U-19 runner-up with Lyon.
League summary (as for 24 October 2016):
CFA 2015/2016: 6 matches/0 goals (Lyon II)
CFA 2016/2017 (ongoing): 3 matches/0 goals (Lyon II)
Houssem Aouar is a product of Olympique Lyonnais youth system – famous and successful academy, which already produced many excellent players in recent years such as Nabil Fekir, Karim Benzema, Hatem Ben Arfa, Samuel Umtiti, Maxime Gonalons and Alexandre Lacazette. Houssem is the next one tipped for big things after impressing in youth teams. In July 2016, he signed his first professional contract with Lyon, snubbing approaches from Liverpool and Arsenal in the process. On 24 September 2016, he was called up to the senior team by manager Bruno Génésio and appeared on the bench in the team’s 1–0 defeat against Lorient. It seems to be only a matter of time before he makes his Ligue 1 debut and takes the game by storm.
‘Houssem has a technical ease and good vision that allows him to see quickly.
He has both feet, can speed up the game, but also can keep the ball at his feet when necessary and has ability in one-on-one situations.
He can play as a second striker or a playmaker or a runner, and is a quality finisher, capable of scoring and threading the final pass.’
(Gerard Bonneau – Lyon recruitment chief)
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Player has potential to become a key player in a top European club.