Full name: Pedro Miguel Costa Álvaro
Date of birth: 02/03/2000 (17 years old)
Place of birth: Seia (Portugal)
Youth career: SL Benfica
Current club: SL Benfica/Benfica B
Squad number: —
Current national team: Portugal U-17
Position: central defender, defensive midfielder
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: 2017 UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification elite round (3/0), UEFA Youth League 2016/2017 (9/0)
Contract until: unknown
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Mats Hummels
– composure & anticipation
– tackling and intercepting
– aerial duels
No significant weaknesses.
Style of play:
– elegant, complete and dominant modern defender
– large, consistent, and physically strong player who feels comfortable in contact situations
– able to play as a defensive midfielder if needed thanks to his vision, ability to read the game and tactical awareness
– known for his composure, elegance, ball playing ability, and confidence in possession
– well-fit, hard-working, and quick at anticipating the movement of the opponents
– accurate and tenacious tackler
– likes to spread play with good long-range diagonals
– likes to maraud forward
– dominant in the air
– high tackling and interception rate
– able to control the threat of the attacker without causing an imbalance in the defensive line
– concentrated, determined and commited player with very good rate of individual and collective work
– already very accomplished for his age
He is best suited to playing as:
Central defender in 4-3-3.
UEFA Youth League 2016/2017 runner-up with Benfica.
League summary (as for 20 May 2017):
No senior team appearances yet.
Portugal has currently an outstanding generation of young football players, which achieve great successes at various youth international tournaments. Many of them, like Pedro Álvaro, come from Benfica youth academy. He was an important player of Benfica U19 team during UEFA Youth League 2016/2017 campaign, where young “Eagles” did very good until the final, which they lost to the revelation of the tournament Red Bull Salzburg. He is also a regular player for the Portuguese youth national teams and now, he is one of the leaders of Portugal Under-17 squad.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European club.