Full name: Trevoh Thomas Chalobah
Country: England/Sierra Leone
Date of birth: 05/07/1999 (18 years old)
Place of birth: Freetown (Sierra Leone)
Youth career: Chelsea FC
Current club: Chelsea FC
Squad number: —
Current national team: England U-19
Position: central defender, defensive midfielder
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: UEFA Youth League 2015/2016 (6/0), 2016 UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification elite round (3/0), 2016 UEFA European Under-17 Championship (4/0), 2017 UEFA European Under-19 Championship qualification elite round (3/0), 2017 UEFA European Under-19 Championship (3/0)
Contract until: 30.06.2019
Player’s agent: Base Soccer
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Jérôme Boateng
– composure & anticipation
– aerial duels
– tackling and intercepting
No significant weaknesses.
Style of play:
– complete and dominant defender
– large, consistent, and physically strong player who feels comfortable in contact situations
– versatile defensive player able to play as a full-back or defensive midfielder if needed thanks to his vision, ability to read the game and tactical awareness
– uncommonly agile and fast for a player of his size
– able to play in a three-man defensive line system
– known for his composure, elegance, ball playing ability, and confidence in possession
– well-fit, hard-working, and quick at anticipating the movement of the opponents
– accurate and tenacious tackler
– likes to spread play with good long-range diagonals
– likes to maraud forward
– extremely dominant in the air
– high tackling and interception rate
– indirect set-piece threat
– concentrated, determined and commited player with very good rate of individual and collective work
– already very accomplished for his age
He is best suited to playing as:
Central defender in 4-2-3-1.
UEFA Youth League 2015/2016 winner with Chelsea.
2017 UEFA European Under-19 Championship winner with England.
FA Youth Cup 2015/2016 winner with Chelsea.
FA Youth Cup 2016/2017 winner with Chelsea.
League summary (as for 23 July 2017):
No senior team appearances yet.
Trevoh Chalobah joined Chelsea youth system as an Under-9. He is the younger brother of Nathaniel Chalobah, another Chelsea academy graduate, and current Watford player. Trevoh is one of the leaders of a very successful generation of Chelsea players born in 1999 & 2000 which includes, among others, Marc Guehi, Reece James, Dujon Sterling, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Mason Mount & George McEachran. He captained England Under-17s at the 2016 European Under-17 Championship. In 2017, he was at the UEFA European Under-19 Championship, where England won in a convincing manner, and Trevoh was among the top players of the tournament, despite the injury that prevented him from playing in the semi-final and final.
“Physically, he’s essentially a complete prospect. Overbearingly tall but quick across the ground; he’s also strong despite his reasonably slender frame. He uses that strength and speed to nullify opposing strikers. They can’t beat him in the air, and he can keep up with them on the ground. Some of the recovery runs he embarks upon—chasing markers back and dispossessing them in one fluid motion—are jaw-dropping.”
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Player has potential to become a key player in a top European club.