Full name: Paulo Guilherme Gonçalves Bernardo
Date of birth: 24/01/2002 (18 years old)
Place of birth: Almada (Portugal)
Youth career: SL Benfica
Current club: SL Benfica
Squad number: —
Current national team: Portugal U-19
Position: central midfielder, attacking midfielder
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: 2019 UEFA European Under-19 Championship qualification elite round (3/0), 2019 UEFA European Under-19 Championship (4/1), UEFA Youth League 2019/2020 (7/2)
Contract until: 30.06.2024
Player’s agent: Positionumber
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Frank Lampard
– ball control
– long shots
No significant weaknesses.
Style of play:
– box-to-box midfielder
– player with very good body mass ratio, physical strength, natural fitness & stamina
– intelligent player, who finds the space well between the lines
– creative player with very good technical ability, 1vs1 short-dribbling skills, close ball control, fast direction shifts in possession and vision to make through passes to the teammates providing dynamism to the team’s last offensive third plays
– well-rounded, hard-working team player
– excellent range of passing
– possesses good mid-range and long-range shooting skills
– quick despite being so tall, which allows him to make dynamic dribbling movements and cover large amounts of space
– creative at his off-the-ball movements, and likes to find the best space to receive the ball with good timings, linking up the team’s midfield and attack
– player that always tries to find a vertical option in his game, so he is very capable of pushing his team forward to finishing positions
– able to deliver pinpoint passes and crosses
– displays a natural technique to take fast decisions in tight spaces/press-resistant player
– eager to track back and work for the team
– aggressive and tenacious tackler
– often makes surging runs into the penalty box
– good ambidexterity when using his left weaker foot
Bernardo wins the ball back and starts a counter-attack of his team.
Bernardo makes a late run into the penalty area and scores with his weaker foot.
He is best suited to playing as:
Central midfielder in 4-3-3.
Portuguese U-15 Championship 2015/2016 winner with Benfica.
Portuguese U-15 Championship 2016/2017 winner with Benfica.
Portuguese U-17 Championship 2018/2019 winner with Benfica.
League summary (as for 13 May 2020):
Segunda Liga 2019/2020 (ongoing): 2 games/0 goals (Benfica B)
Paulo Bernardo is one of the most talented teenagers in Portugal. He is a product of Benfica youth academy, which produced many talented footballers in recent years such as Rúben Dias, Ferro, Gedson Fernandes, Florentino, Joao Félix and Nuno Tavares. He is a part of the new generation of extremely talented Benfica players born in 2001 and 2002 which includes, among others Tomás Tavares, Diogo Nascimento, Úmaro Embaló, Gonçalo Ramos, Tiago Gouveia, João Ferreira, Rafael Brito, Tomás Araújo, Filipe Cruz, and Henrique Pereira. Paulo made his professional debut for Benfica B on 2 February 2020 in Segunda Liga game against Vilafranquense.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European club.