Country: England/Republic of Ireland
Date of birth: 08/02/2003 (17 years old)
Place of birth: Winchester (England)
Youth career: Derby County, Manchester City (since 2019)
Current club: Manchester City
Squad number: 48
Current national team: England U-17
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: —
Contract until: unknown
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Edin Džeko
– off the ball movement
– link-up play
– ball control
No significant weaknesses.
Style of play:
– complete forward
– tall player with good body mass ratio, physical strength, power, stamina and natural fitness who feels comfortable in contact situations
– powerful and determined forward with killer-instinct, interesting technique on the ball and cleverness at his off-the-ball movements
– good agility, coordination and pace for a player of his size
– likes to shoot at every opportunity he gets
– likes to play with back to goal
– generates many flick-ons and passes into the channels for his teammates to utilize
– possesses very impressive mid-range and long-range shooting skills
– capable of holding up the ball for teammates to provide them with assists when playing with his back to goal/good ability to connect with midfield
– great sense of positioning while receiving through balls
– knows how to use his body to shield the ball from defenders thanks to his technique, strength and ball control
– able to sniff out a goal in any situation
– often moves deep into midfield and drawing defenders with him, in order to create and exploit spaces for his teammates
– aerial threat in the opposition box
– indirect set-piece threat
Delap playing with back to goal – he makes a quick feint and scores with a superb low driven shot.
Delap with a fantastic run and finish.
He is best suited to playing as:
Centre-forward in 4-3-3.
English U-18 Championship 2018/2019 winner with Derby.
English U-18 Championship 2019/2020 winner with Manchester City.
Premier League Cup 2019/2020 winner with Manchester City.
League summary (as for 23 September 2020):
No senior team appearances yet.
Liam Delap joined Manchester City youth academy from Derby County in 2019. He is the son of former Stoke City and Republic of Ireland star Rory Delap. During the 2019/2020 season, he was one of the leaders of Manchester City U-18 team that lifted both the Under-18 Premier League national title and Under-18 Premier League Cup. On 21 September 2020, he sat on the first-team bench for the first time in a Premier League fixture against Wolverhampton.
“Mixing power with panache, the 17-year-old also boasts an explosive turn of pace, prodigious skill and a genuine hunger and thirst for goals.
A traditional leader of the line and standing over 6ft, Delap relishes the physical side of the game and despite his tender years he is a formidable presence on the field.
But he marries that athleticism with guile and skilful creativity to make him a hugely exciting prospect.”
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Player has the potential to become a key player in a top European club.