Full name: Diego Almeida Crespo
Date of birth: 12/02/2004 (16 years old)
Place of birth: Rubí (Spain)
Youth career: FC Barcelona
Current club: FC Barcelona
Squad number: —
Current national team: Spain U-17
Position: central defender, defensive midfielder
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: —
Contract until: 30.06.2023
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Rafael Márquez
– aerial duels
– tackling and intercepting
No significant weaknesses.
Style of play:
– complete, elegant and dominant centre-back
– modern defender, who combines strength with good technique and passing
– perfect mix of a pure defender and ball-playing defender
– can also play as a right-back or defensive midfielder if needed
– player with good body mass ratio, physical strength, power, stamina and natural fitness who feels comfortable in contact situations
– good agility and coordination for a player of his size
– fast and powerful with great timing in duels
– great at finding passes through both the first and second line of pressing from the opposition
– known for his composure, positional sense, confidence in possession, understanding of the game, and an above-average technical capacity
– superb spatial and tactical awareness
– very good vision and passing skills also when it comes to breaking the lines with laser passes
– often wins the ball back by outmuscling players thanks to his significant upper-body strength
– accurate and tenacious tackler
– likes to spread play with good long-range diagonals
– likes to maraud forward
– very comfortable to play in a high line
– extremely dominant in the air
– indirect set-piece threat
– tactically astute and technically capable of playing in various tactical systems
– concentrated, determined and committed player with a very good rate of individual and collective work
– natural leader
Almeida intercepts the ball elegantly and starts the attack of his team.
Almeida shows his composure and ball skills – he dribbles past two opponents and starts the attack of his team.
He is best suited to playing as:
Central defender in 4-3-3.
League summary (as for 26 January 2021):
No senior team appearances yet.
Diego Almeida is a product of a famous La Masia. He was born in Spain to Ecuadorian parents and has played for the U-15 teams of both Ecuador and Spain. Currently, he is a member of the Spain U-17 national team. Almeida is part of an extremely strong generation of Barcelona players born in 2004 which includes, among others Pablo Paez ‘Gavi’, Ángel Alarcón, Aleix Garrido, Ilias Akhomach, Fabian Luzzi, Arnau Casas, Toni Caravaca, Ander Astralaga and Gerard Gonzalez.
“Smart, gifted, associative and very unique. There’s no need to put too much pressure on his young shoulders, but it’s not surprising that Diego Almeida is considered the most promising centre-back at La Masía, mostly after the exit of Eric García. In February, the bright defender will be turning 16 and will be able to sign his first professional contract. The board should make all efforts to ensure that Almeida keeps progressing at Barcelona and has a cleared path to reach the first time in the future. Barça can’t afford to lose another of their most precious gems.”
Football Talent Scout potential rating: