Full name: Matheus Gonçalves Martins
Date of birth: 18/08/2005 (16 years old)
Place of birth: Brazil
Youth career: Flamengo
Current club: Flamengo
Squad number: —
Current national team: Brazil U-17
Position: attacking midfielder, winger, second striker
Preferred foot: left
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: —
Contract until: unknown
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Ángel Di María
– ball control
– first touch
– operating with his right weaker foot
Style of play:
– inside forward
– extremely skilled and versatile player able to play anywhere in attack
– creative player with great technique on the ball, mobility, acceleration skills, fast direction shifts, short-dribbling, and good short-mid through passing ability
– likes to play in a free attacking role granted the freedom to roam the pitch and find space
– likes to dribble
– often moves into midfield areas and combines play intelligently with midfielders
– above-average vision, passing, and playmaking skills/has all the qualities to play as an advanced playmaker as well
– has the technique, ability, and confidence to execute killer passes and set up goal-scoring opportunities for his teammates
– very strong in 1v1 situations, unpredictable, and very confident of his skills
– likes to have the ball at his feet and often uses his skills to beat defenders, cut inside and create himself a decent opportunity to score or pass
– possesses good mid–range and long–range shooting skills
– extremely difficult to knock off the ball thanks to his low centre of gravity and excellent close control
– exceptional ability to maneuver in tight spaces
– able to get out of various different scenarios, able to play wide and go direct, or being central and cutting through the lines/difference-maker
– very good in combinational play
– excellent balance, footwork, coordination, and changes of pace
– very good ball control and dribbling skills at top speed
– extremely dangerous on the counter thanks to his electric pace and acceleration
– all-action and energetic
– does not hesitate to track back and work for the team/high work rate in the defensive phase/pressing
– gets fouled often
– competent set-piece taker
Matheus Gonçalves cuts inside, dribbles past two opponents with ease, and scores with a clinical shot from outside the penalty area.
Matheus Gonçalves enters the penalty area, loses his marker with a great first touch, and scores with a powerful finish.
He is best suited to playing as:
Right winger in 4-3-3.
Campeonato Brasileiro 2021 U-17 winner with Flamengo.
Brazilian Cup U-17 2021 winner with Flamengo.
League summary (as for 26 November 2021):
No senior team appearances yet.
Matheus Gonçalves is a product of Ninho do Urubu – the famous Flamengo youth academy. He is currently one of the stars of a very successful Rubro-negro U-17 team. He is a part of a very interesting new generation of Flamengo teenagers which includes, among others Lázaro, Gabriel Noga, Petterson, Daniel Cabral, Mateusão, Werton, Victor Hugo, Dudu, and Matheus França.
Football Talent Scout potential rating: