AFCON 2021: The five biggest upsets so far by Dike Ekene
The ongoing Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon has been filled with twists and turns. A couple of heavyweights have been humbled out of the competition.
1. Nigeria 0 vs Tunisia 1 – Nigeria were eliminated from AFCON 2021 in the round of 16 after they were off to a flying start in the group stage by a less fancied, COVID-19 ravaged Tunisian outfit.
2. Algeria 0 vs Sierra Leone 0 – Defending champions, Algeria were held to a goalless draw by underdogs Sierra Leone in their opening group stage game. It was a game which exposed Algeria’s weakness at the tournament.
3. Equitorial Guinea 1 vs Algeria 0 – After 35 games, Algeria’s unbeaten run finally came to an abruput end in their second group game. They were just two games away from equalling Italy’s unbeaten run record of 37 games before they reached their final bus stop.
4. Sierra Leone 2 vs Cote d’Ivoire 2 – After sharing the spoils with Algeria, Sierra Leone were inspired to squeeze out another draw against 2015 champions Ivory Coast. A last gasp equaliser due to a blunder by the Ivorian goalkeeper handed Sierra Leone a share of the spoils.
5. Ghana 2 vs Comoros 3 – Debutants Comoros won their first-ever game in the Africa Cup of Nations against five-time winners Ghana in their last group game. The Black Stars were ignominiously sent out of the competition following a 3-2 defeat in the hands of a small footballing nation.
What was the biggest upset in your opinion?