Full name: David Mella Boullón
Youth career: San Tirso, Deportivo de La Coruña (since 2018)
Current club: Deportivo de La Coruña
Squad number: —
Current national team: Spain U-17
Preferred foot: left
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: UEFA Youth League 2021/2022 (5/1), Algarve Cup U17 2022 (2/0), 2022 UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification elite round (3/0)
Contract until: 30.06.2024
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Moussa Diaby
– ball control
– still has a margin to improve his decision making in the final third and become more efficient
– able to dispossess opponents thanks to his explosiveness, but his timing and defensive positioning are improvable
Style of play:
– explosive winger
– player with a diminutive figure with a stocky build and decent physical strength for a player of his size
– capable to play on both wings (preferably on the left as a more ‘traditional winger’)
– could be an interesting option to be converted to a wing-back in the future
– great agility, flair, body balance, changes of pace, and coordination
– likes to dribble
– likes to play a direct style by running straight at defenders with pace
– likes to cross
– creative at his off-the-ball movements, and likes to find the best space to receive the ball
– very strong in 1v1 situations and confident of his skills
– incredibly explosive over the first meters
– extremely difficult to knock off the ball thanks to his low centre of gravity and excellent close control
– known for his “quick feet” and speed of movement
– very dangerous on the counter thanks to his pace and acceleration
– able to dribble and cross at top speed
Mella loses his markers thanks to his electric pace and provides an assist with a brilliant cross.
Mella makes a great counter-attacking run – he dribbles past his marker with ease but loses the 1vs1 with goalkeeper.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Left winger in 4-3-3.
Spanish U-19 Championship 2020/2021 winner with Deportivo.
Algarve Cup U17 2022 winner with Spain.
League summary (as for 29 April 2022):
Tercera División RFEF 2021/2022 (ongoing): 24 games/1 goal (Deportivo B)
David Mella joined Deportivo de La Coruña youth academy from San Tirso in 2018. He was one of the biggest stars of Deportivo U-19 during the 2020/2021 season when young Blanquiazules won the Spanish Championship. At the moment, David is a regular for Deportivo reserves but his first-team debut seems to be only a matter of time. He is also an important member of the Spain U-17 national team along with other extremely interesting players such as Yarek Gasiorowski, Gerard Hernández, Javier Boñar, Mahamadou Susoho, Álvaro Ginés, Dani Pérez, Miguel Carvalho, Joel Casals, Alejandro Jiménez, and Iker Bravo.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European club.