Date of birth: 06/05/2005 (17 years old)
Place of birth: England
Youth career: Fleetwood Town, Aston Villa (since 2021)
Current club: Aston Villa
Squad number: 59
Current national team: England U-17
Position: central defender
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: 2022 UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification elite round (2/0)
Contract until: unknown
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Gary Cahill
– aerial duels
– tactical intelligence
No significant weaknesses.
Style of play:
– complete, dominant, and elegant central defender
– perfect mix of a pure defender and ball-playing centre-back
– tall player with good body mass ratio, physical strength, power, stamina, and natural fitness who feels comfortable in contact situations
– able to play as a right and left-sided centre-back in a four-man defensive line
– modern defender, who combines strength with good technique and passing
– concentrated player with very good reading of the game and anticipation
– known for his composure, positional sense, confidence in possession, and understanding of the game
– likes to spread play with good long-range diagonals
– does not dive into tackles
– often wins the ball back by outmuscling his opponents/wins most of the physical duels
– extremely dominant in the air
– aerial threat in the opposition box during the set-pieces
– tenacious in challenges with a high percentage of duels won
– operates comfortably with his left weaker foot
– mature with good leadership skills/potential captain in the future
Feeney takes control of the attacker and wins the ball back thanks to his pace and strength.
Feeney charges with the ball forward and plays a brilliant line-breaking pass to his teammate.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Central defender in 4-3-3.
League summary (as for 6 May 2022):
No senior team appearances yet.
Josh Feeney is considered to be one of the most talented teenagers in England. He has been named in Fleetwood Town’s matchday squad on multiple occasions during the League One 2020/2021 season. He joined Aston Villa’s youth academy in July 2021. He is a part of an extremely interesting group of Villa teenagers which includes the likes of Aaron Ramsey, Carney Chukwuemeka, Lamare Bogarde, Ben Chrisene, Kerr Smith, Sil Swinkels, Brad Young, Tim Iroegbunam, Louie Barry, and Kaine Kesler. Josh made the first-team bench for the first time on 2 January 2022 in a Premier League game against Brentford. He is also a regular youth international for England and currently he’s the captain and leader of the U-17 team.
Football Talent Scout potential rating: