Samuele di Benedetto
Date of birth: 16/07/2005 (16 years old)
Place of birth: Schwäbisch Gmünd (Germany)
Youth career: 1.FC Normannia Gmünd, 1.FC Heidenheim 1846, VfB Stuttgart (since 2019)
Current club: VfB Stuttgart
Squad number: —
Current national team: Germany U-17
Position: defensive midfielder, central midfielder, attacking midfielder
Preferred foot: left
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: 2022 UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification elite round (2/0), 2022 UEFA European Under-17 Championship (4/0)
Contract until: 30.06.2023
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Marco Verratti
– ball control
– football IQ
– needs to work on the consistency of his decision-making: tends to make simple and risky passing mistakes sometimes
– slim build, doesn’t feel very comfortable in contact situations
– operating with his right weaker foot
Style of play:
– deep-lying orchestrator/midfield playmaker/roaming playmaker
– knows how to dictate tempo, he’s creative, and has the natural ability of an ‘orchestrator’ midfielder who can perform at all of midfield positions
– player with excellent technical ability, 1vs1 short-dribbling skills, close ball control, and fast direction shifts in possession
– midfielder who sees the game differently from most revealing creativity, cleverness at his off-the-ball movements, great vision, and passing ability orchestrating or providing dynamism to the team’s build-up process with ease and effectiveness
– fast, dynamic, and mobile player who covers a lot of space
– likes to speed-up the game with progressive runs and passes
– very good in combination play
– cultured passer with a proclivity for breaking the lines with intricate vertical balls
– excellent range of passing at all distances
– extraordinary thinking when on the ball – he often chooses options which are unexpected for the opposition
– very high football IQ and spatial awareness
– has the ability and confidence to provide good through/killer passes in the final third
– great composure, elegance, and retention skills under pressure/press-resistant player
– displays a natural technique to take fast decisions in tight spaces
– extremely difficult to knock off the ball thanks to his low centre of gravity and excellent close control
– constantly asking for the ball and often is an additional passing option
– energetic, tenacious, and determined in defensive phase with good anticipation sense to provide key interceptions and tackles
– avoids using his right weaker foot
– good direct and indirect set-piece taker
Di Benedetto makes a superb run, dribbles past one opponent, and provides a great pass to create a big chance for his teammate.
Di Benedetto shows his amazing vision and provides a brilliant pass to his teammate.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Central midfielder in 4-3-3.
German U-17 Championship 2021/2022 runner-up with VfB Stuttgart.
League summary (as for 28 March 2022):
No senior team appearances yet.
Samuele di Benedetto is a product of an excellent VfB Stuttgart academy – one of the best youth systems in Germany. He is a part of a new very talented wave of VfB academy players which includes the likes of Dennis Seimen, Thomas Kastanaras, Lukas Laupheimer, Laurin Ulrich, Jan-Carlo Simic, Mattis Hoppe, Semih Kara, Robin Littig, Alexandre Azevedo, and Paulo Fritschi. Samuele is also considered to be one of the leaders of an extremely interesting generation of German players born in 2005 which includes, among others Arijon Ibrahimovic, Sidney Raebiger, Tom Bischof, Paul Wanner, Dženan Pejcinovic, Nelson Weiper, Maurice Krattenmacher, Tarek Buchmann, Laurin Ulrich, and Noel Aseko Nkili. In May 2022, Samuele was an important member of Germany U-17 which made it to the quarter-final of the UEFA European Under-17 Championship but lost to France in penalties.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Player has the potential to become a key player in a top European club.