Date of birth: 26/12/2004 (17 years old)
Place of birth: Slovenia
Youth career: NK Domžale
Current club: NK Domžale
Squad number: 35
Current national team: Slovenia U-21
Position: right-back, right wing-back
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: UEFA Youth League 2021/2022 (2/0), 2023 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualifying (3/0)
Contract until: 31.12.2023
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Davide Calabria
– off the ball movement
– needs to work on his crossing and final ball in general
– his proactive style of defending may be a little bit too risky sometimes, needs to find the right balance between diving into tackles and staying on his feet in 1v1 defensive duels
Style of play:
– complete full-back
– modern full-back who combines attacking and defensive qualities and feels comfortably in the build-up
– very good pace, agility, and coordination
– likes to make sliding tackles
– intelligent full-back with good timing, positioning, and game reading ability when going forward
– likes to move into midfield and makes combinations with his teammates/decent passing skills
– likes to use half-spaces and enter the penalty area whenever possible
– above-average finishing skills for a full-back
– high work rate, determination, and winning mentality
– often wins the ball back thanks to his superb recovery pace
– impacts the game at both ends of the pitch/equally competent offensively as defensively
– aggressive and tenacious tackler
– high tackling and interception rate
– operates quite comfortably with his left weaker foot
Ilenič shows his good recovery pace, makes a superb clean tackle, and wins the ball back.
Ilenič makes a good off the ball run into the penalty area, receives the ball, and scores with a powerful and precise finish.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Right-back in 4-3-3.
Slovenian U-19 Championship 2020/2021 winner with Domžale.
Slovenian U-19 Championship 2021/2022 winner with Domžale.
League summary (as for 24 June 2022):
Prva Liga 2020/2021: 1 game/0 goals (Domžale)
Prva Liga 2021/2022: 15 games/3 goals (Domžale)
Mitja Ilenič is a product of NK Domžale youth academy – a club that produced many interesting players in recent years such as Adam Gnezda Cerin, Jan Mlakar, Jon Gorenc Stankovic, and Jan Repas. Mitja made his professional debut for Domžale aged only 16 on 22 May 2021 in a league fixture against NK Aluminij Kidricevo. Thanks to his good form in the Slovenian top tier, he received his first call-up to the Slovenia U-21 team. After playing against Kosovo, he became the second-youngest player ever to feature for Slovenian U21s after Jan Oblak.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Country-scale star with top European league ambition.