Date of birth: 01/08/2004 (17 years old)
Place of birth: Warrington (England)
Youth career: Liverpool, Wigan, Tottenham (since 2020)
Current club: Tottenham
Squad number: 45
Current national team: England U-19
Position: central midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): 900.000 €
Tournaments participated in: 2022 UEFA European Under-19 Championship qualification elite round (3/1), 2022 UEFA European Under-19 Championship (5/1)
Contract until: 30.06.2024
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Federico Valverde
– off the ball movement
– work rate
– aerial duels
– high activity in the defensive phase but he still has a margin to improve his defensive reliability/much more effective at the offensive point of view than defensive one
Style of play:
– box-to-box midfielder
– all-round and versatile/able to play various positions and roles in midfield
– creative player with very good technical ability, 1vs1 short-dribbling skills, close ball control, fast direction shifts in possession, and vision to make through passes to the teammates providing dynamism to the team’s last offensive third plays
– a very interesting combination of passing and technical skills with high work rate
– player that always tries to find a vertical option in his game with dribbling, progressive runs, and passes
– perfect player for a high intensity and pressing team
– likes to play short passes
– likes to make off-the-ball runs into spaces down the channels
– confident, dynamic, and very positive with the ball at his feet
– intelligent player who finds the space well between the lines
– prefers an active style of defending by getting into challenges and pressing opponents
– possesses high stamina, energy, and the ability to make dangerous runs through the middle of the park
– able to make effective late runs into the opposite penalty box lurking for a chance to exploit his shooting skills
– often gets into good shooting positions thanks to his tricky and clever off-the-ball movements in and around the opposite’ box
– very mobile player who covers a lot of space
– able to dribble and make quick combinations at top speed
– very dangerous on the counter thanks to his pace and movement
– all-action and energetic
– decent direct and indirect set-piece taker
Devine makes a smart off the ball move, receives the ball, and scores with a beautiful strike.
Devine intercepts the ball, makes a quick decision, and provides a superb assist to his teammate.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Central midfielder in 4-3-3.
2022 UEFA European Under-19 Championship winner with England.
League summary (as for 3 July 2022):
No senior team appearances yet.
Alfie Devine was an academy player of Liverpool but was released at the age of 11 and, four months later, he joined Wigan Athletic. In 2020, after impressing for Wigan youth, he was signed by Tottenham for a fee of around £300,000. He made his professional debut for Spurs on 10 January 2021 in the third round match of the FA Cup against Marine in which he scored. At the age of 16 years and 163 days he became the youngest player to have played for Tottenham in a senior game, breaking the record previously held by Dane Scarlett. In 2022, he was one of England’s best players at the UEFA European Under-19 Championship where young Englishmen won the tournament in great style.
“He’s a kid with good potential. He’s basically a midfield player, but with an instinct to appear in finishing zones and to score goals.”
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Player has the potential to become a key player in a top European club.