Date of birth: 04/01/2005 (17 years old)
Place of birth: Denmark
Youth career: FC Copenhagen
Current club: FC Copenhagen
Squad number: 45
Current national team: Denmark U-17
Position: supporting forward, centre-forward
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): 50.000 €
Tournaments participated in: 2022 UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification elite round (2/1), 2022 UEFA European Under-17 Championship (4/1)
Contract until: 31.12.2024
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Edin Džeko
– first touch
– football IQ
– link-up play
– ball control
– physical strength
– pace and acceleration
– lacks aggression and determination in the penalty area/should be more prolific
– defensive contribution/activity in pressing
Style of play:
– a mix of a target man and deep-lying forward
– tall player with a good body mass ratio who feels comfortable in the physical duels and knows how to use his body well to gain advantage
– excellent playmaking skills and very good ability to connect with midfield
– likes to play with back to goal
– often moves deeper into midfield and draws defenders with him, in order to create and exploit spaces for his teammates
– generates many flick-ons and passes into the channels for his teammates to utilize
– superb spatial awareness and understanding of the game
– displays a natural technique to take fast decisions in tight spaces/under pressure
– very good first touch to make quick combinations and layoffs with his teammates
– extremely difficult to knock off the ball thanks to his strength, ability to shield the ball, and excellent close control
– aerial threat in the opposition box
– ill-equipped for fast-paced counter-attacks
– operates very comfortably with his left weaker foot
Højlund provides an assist with a brilliant first touch while playing with back to goal.
Højlund with a silky lay-off pass to give his winger plenty of space to attack the penalty area.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Centre-forward in 4-3-3.
Danish U-19 Championship 2022 winner with Copenhagen.
League summary (as for 28 July 2022):
No senior team appearances yet.
Emil Højlund is a product of the FC Copenhagen youth academy. His brothers are also talented footballers – younger Oscar is his teammate at Copenhagen and older Rasmus plays for Sturm Graz. Emil made his professional debut on 10 March 2022 in the UEFA Europa Conference League game against PSV Eindhoven. He is a part of a very interesting generation of FCK teenagers which includes Roony Bardghji, Orri Steinn Óskarsson, Hákon Arnar Haraldsson, Valdemar Lund Jensen, Ísak Bergmann Jóhannesson, Daniel Haarbo, William Bøving, William Clem, Victor Kristiansen, and Noah Sahsah. In May 2022, he was an important member of Denmark U-17 which made it to the quarter-final of the UEFA European Under-17 Championship but lost to Serbia after a very close game.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European league.