Full name: Alejandro Garnacho Ferreyra
Date of birth: 01/07/2004 (18 years old)
Place of birth: Madrid (Spain)
Youth career: Atletico Madrid, Manchester United (since 2020)
Current club: Manchester United
Squad number: 49
Current national team: Argentina U-20
Position: winger, second striker
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): 2.000.000 €
Tournaments participated in: UEFA Youth League 2021/2022 (7/2), Tournoi Maurice Revello 2022 (4/4)
Contract until: 30.06.2023
Player’s agent: #LEADERS
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Heung-min Son/Luis Díaz
– ball control
– off the ball movement
– first touch
– prolific player but still needs to work on the composure in the final third/may a little bit wasteful
– able to dispossess opponents thanks to his explosiveness, but his consistency and positioning in the defensive phase/pressing are still very much improvable
– aerial ability
Style of play:
– inside forward
– could also be an interesting option to play as a striker who will be constantly on the move looking for space and will often try to make off the shoulder runs to go through on goal
– player with decent body mass ratio, power, stamina, and natural fitness
– great acceleration, body balance, changes of pace, and coordination
– likes to dribble
– likes to enter the opposition’s penalty area whenever possible
– very vertical and energetic attacker who loves to play a direct style by running straight at defenders with pace
– often uses his skills and pace to beat defenders, cut inside, and create himself a decent opportunity to score from
– mobile and creative at his off-the-ball movements, and likes to find the best space to receive the ball with good timings
– often gets into good shooting positions
– very skillful at beating his markers and evading pressure
– very strong in 1v1 situations, unpredictable, and confident of his skills
– great dribbling skills and ball control at top speed
– good ability at first touch/high speed in 1-2 combinations style of play
– extremely dangerous on the counter thanks to his pace, acceleration, and off the ball movement
– operates comfortably with his left weaker foot
– high determination, bravery, and winning mentality
– good direct and indirect set-piece taker/able to score spectacular free-kick goals
– accurate penalty taker
Garnacho wins the ball back after a high pressure, enters the penalty area, and scores with a beautiful curling finish.
Garnacho with a great counter-attacking run and powerful finish to beat the goalkeeper.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Left winger in 4-3-3.
Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year 2021/2022.
FA Youth Cup 2021/2022 winner with Manchester United.
FA Youth Cup 2021/2022 top scorer.
League summary (as for 1 August 2022):
Premier League 2021/2022: 2 games/0 goals (Manchester United)
Alejandro Garnacho joined the Manchester United youth academy from Atletico Madrid in 2020 for a fee of £420,000. He had a very impressive 2021/2022 season – he scored a brace in the FA Youth Cup final and won the Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year award – a prestigious award previously won by the likes of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, and Marcus Rashford. He made his professional debut for United on 28 April 2022 in a Premier League game against Chelsea. On 7 March 2022, Garnacho was called up to the Argentina senior national team as part of an initial 44-man squad for their two World Cup qualifiers. He made it to the final 33-man squad but wasn’t given a chance to debut. Currently, he’s one of the leaders of Argentina U-20, an extremely interesting team with many exciting talents such as Nicolás Palavecino, Santiago Castro, Mateo Sanabria, Maximiliano González, Valentín Barco, Brian Aguilar, Valentin Carboni, Gino Infantino, Matías Soulé, Julián Aude, and Lucas Román.
‘Alejandro has shown great determination from the day that he arrived here from Spain, in the middle of a pandemic. He has adapted extremely well to life in Manchester and continues to improve on the pitch every day.’
(Nick Cox – head of Manchester United Academy)
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Player has the potential to become a key player in a top European club.