Date of birth: 16/02/2003 (19 years old)
Place of birth: Split (Croatia)
Youth career: Hajduk Split, RNK Split, Dinamo Zagreb (since 2017)
Current club: Dinamo Zagreb
Squad number: 10
Current national team: Croatia U-21
Position: defensive midfielder, central midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): 3.000.000 €
Tournaments participated in: 2023 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualifying (7/0)
Contract until: 15.06.2027
Player’s agent: Venture Partners
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Kevin De Bruyne/Wesley Sneijder
– ball control
– football IQ
– still has a margin to improve his physical prowess
– aerial duels
Style of play:
– 8/10 hybrid/roaming playmaker
– tactically astute and technically capable of playing in various tactical systems
– likes to have the ball at his feet and has the natural ability of an ‘orchestrator’ midfielder who can perform at all of the midfield positions
– player with excellent technical ability, 1vs1 short-dribbling skills, close ball control, and fast direction shifts in possession
– midfielder who sees the game differently from most revealing creativity, cleverness at his off-the-ball movements, great vision, and passing ability orchestrating or providing dynamism to the team’s build-up process with ease and effectiveness
– fast, dynamic, and mobile player who covers a lot of space
– likes to speed-up the game with progressive runs and passes
– very intelligent movement and positioning between the lines
– excellent in combination play
– cultured passer with a proclivity for breaking the lines with intricate vertical balls
– extraordinary thinking when on the ball – he often chooses options that are unexpected for the opposition
– very high football IQ, maturity, and spatial awareness
– has the ability and confidence to provide good through/killer passes in the final third
– great composure, elegance, and retention skills under pressure/press-resistant player
– very interesting mid-range and long-range shooting skills
– displays a natural technique to dribble and take fast decisions in tight spaces
– very good decision-making and efficiency for a player of his age
– constantly asking for the ball and often is an additional passing option
– does not hesitate to track back and work for the team/good recovery of his position
Despite heavy pressure and a crowded area, Baturina finds some space and scores with a precise finish.
Baturina with a great counter-attacking run – he dribbles past his opponent and provides a superb assist to his teammate.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Central midfielder in 4-3-3.
Croatian Championship 2020/2021 winner with Dinamo.
Croatian Cup 2020/2021 winner with Dinamo.
Croatian Championship 2021/2022 winner with Dinamo.
Croatian Super Cup 2022/2023 winner with Dinamo.
League summary (as for 31 August 2022):
Prva NL 2020/2021: 8 games/0 goals (Dinamo II)
HNL 2020/2021: 2 games/0 goals (Dinamo)
Prva NL 2021/2022: 7 games/1 goal (Dinamo II)
HNL 2021/2022: 13 games/2 goals (Dinamo)
HNL 2022/2023 (ongoing): 6 games/2 goals (Dinamo)
Martin Baturina is considered to be one of the most talented teenagers in Southern Europe and one of the biggest jewels in the Croatian League. He is a product of the famous Dinamo Zagreb youth academy. He made his first-team debut for Modri on 16 May 2021 in a league fixture against HNK Gorica. This season, he has established himself as a first-team regular and is showing his tremendous potential. His all-time numbers for Dinamo are very impressive as well – so far he scored 4 goals and provided 7 assists in just over 1230 minutes. He is also a regular youth international for Croatia and currently he’s one of the youngest members of the U-21 team.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Player has the potential to become a key player in a top European league.