Date of birth: 04/07/2005 (17 years old)
Place of birth: Zagreb (Croatia)
Youth career: Dinamo Zagreb
Current club: Dinamo Zagreb
Squad number: —
Current national team: Croatia U-17
Position: central midfielder, attacking midfielder
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: UEFA Youth League 2022/2023 (6/0)
Contract until: 15.02.2024
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Pedri
– ball control
– football IQ
– may be a little bit too confident of his skills/nonchalant sometimes and lose the ball in dangerous areas
– still has room to improve his physical prowess
Style of play:
– playmaker/advanced playmaker
– can also play on the flank as a false winger
– tactically astute and technically capable of playing in various tactical systems
– elegant on the ball with a silky touch
– likes to be fielded in a free role in midfield, where he is given space to roam the pitch
– has the natural ability of an ‘orchestrator’ midfielder who can perform at all of the midfield positions, linking up the team’s midfield and attack with ease and effectiveness
– intelligent movement between the lines
– often creates numerical superiority with his progressive runs and passes
– very high football IQ and spatial awareness
– likes to dribble
– player with an outstanding vision to execute killer passes and set up goal-scoring opportunities for his teammates
– extraordinary thinking when on the ball – he often chooses options that are unexpected for the opposition
– very good composure and retention skills under pressure/press-resistant player
– superb technique and close control in tight spaces
– able to deliver pinpoint passes and crosses
– possesses interesting mid-range and long-range shooting skills
– above-average decision-making and composure in the final third
– doesn’t hesitate to track back and work for the team/active when out of possession and in pressing
– operates comfortably with his left weaker foot
– direct and indirect set-piece specialist
Vrbančić spots the movement of his teammate and provides a brilliant assist with his left weaker foot.
Vrbančić cuts inside, enters the penalty area, dribbles past his opponent, and scores with a powerful finish.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Central midfielder in 4-3-3.
Croatian U-17 Championship 2021/2022 winner with Dinamo.
League summary (as for 3 November 2022):
No senior team appearances yet.
Luka Vrbančić is considered to be one of the most talented teenagers in Croatia. He is a product of the famous Dinamo Zagreb youth academy. He is tipped to follow in the footsteps of other talented Dinamo academy graduates who made their debuts in recent years such as Joško Gvardiol, Martin Baturina, Josip Šutalo, Bartol Franjić, Antonio Marin, and Marko Bulat. During the 2021/2022 season, he was an absolute star of the title-winning team in the Croatian U-17 Championship.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European league.