Date of birth: 07/06/2006 (16 years old)
Place of birth: Switzerland
Youth career: FC Basel
Current club: FC Basel
Squad number: —
Current national team: Switzerland U-17
Position: defensive midfielder, central midfielder
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: —
Contract until: unknown
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Sofyan Amrabat
– work rate
– ability to read the game
– still has a margin to improve his progressive passing
– overly aggressive when tackling sometimes
– recovery pace
Style of play:
– holding midfielder
– interesting mix of a ball-winning midfielder and midfield controller
– despite his average frame, he is strong physically and feels very comfortable in contact situations
– able to play in both a three- and four-man midfield
– intelligent player with good movement who feels comfortable in combination play
– excellent positional sense and an acute tactical ability to read the game
– good range of passing at all distances
– likes to spread play with good long-range diagonals
– difficult to knock off the ball thanks to his strength, ability to shield the ball, and close control
– decent composure and retention skills under pressure
– combative, hardworking, and determined in the defensive phase with good anticipation sense to provide key interceptions and tackles
– accurate and tenacious tackler who likes an active style of defending by getting into challenges and pressing opponents
– concentrated, committed, courageous, and willing to sacrifice
– strong in the air
– very good direct and indirect set-piece taker
– mature and charismatic with very good leadership skills
Xhemalija reads the game very well, reacts quickly, and intercepts the ball in the opposition’s half.
Xhemalija ‘destroys’ his opponent physically and wins the ball back.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Defensive midfielder in 4-3-3.
League summary (as for 10 January 2023):
No senior team appearances yet.
Demir Xhemalija is a product of the FC Basel academy, a superb youth system that developed many active Swiss internationals such as Xherdan Shaqiri, Granit Xhaka, Noah Okafor, Breel Embolo, Eray Cömert, and Yann Sommer. Demir is also a regular youth international for Switzerland – he started at the U-16 level and now he’s the captain and leader of the U-17 setup.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European league.