Full name: Siyabonga Nicolas Mabena
Country: South Africa
Date of birth: 18/02/2007 (16 years old)
Place of birth: South Africa
Youth career: Transnet School of Excellence, Mamelodi Sundowns (since 2022)
Current club: Mamelodi Sundowns
Squad number: 44
Current national team: South Africa U-17
Position: winger, second striker, striker
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: 2022 COSAFA Under-17 Championship, 2023 U-17 Africa Cup of Nations (4/1)
Contract until: unknown
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Raheem Sterling
– ball control
– off-the-ball movement
– shot power
– first touch
– player of a small frame who doesn’t feel comfortable in contact situations
– defensive contribution and positioning
– can be a little bit overambitious with dribbling sometimes/needs to work on his composure and general decision-making in the final third
– aerial duels
Style of play:
– inside forward
– offensive allrounder capable of playing anywhere along the front-line
– could be an interesting option to play as an advanced striker in a counter-attacking style
– player with a low centre of gravity, great agility, changes of pace, and coordination
– very good technical ability, 1vs1 short-dribbling skills, close ball control, fast direction shifts in possession
– player that always tries to find a vertical option in his game, so he is very capable of pushing his team forward to finishing positions
– likes to play a direct style by running straight at defenders with pace
– likes to dribble
– gets past players with extreme ease thanks to his blistering pace, acceleration, and body balance
– possesses powerful mid-range shooting skills
– spectacular player able to make solo dribbling runs to beat the defensive line and make a difference at any time
– creative at his off-the-ball movements and likes to find the best space to receive the ball with good timings
– incredibly explosive over the first meters/phenomenal motor skills
– very strong in 1v1 situations, positive with the ball at his feet, and confident of his skills
– mobile and skillful at beating his markers and evading pressure
– extremely dangerous on the counter thanks to his electric pace and acceleration
– likes to make quick one-twos with his teammates
– likes to make effective off-the-ball/shoulder runs to beat the defensive line
– very good ball control and footwork at top speed
– all-action and energetic
– he rather avoids using it but is able to score and pass quite comfortably with his weaker left foot
Mabena cuts inside from the left wing, drifts past two defenders with extreme ease, and scores with a superb finish.
Mabena spots the movement of his teammate and provides an assist with a brilliant first touch chipped pass.
Mabena enters the penalty area, dribbles past his opponent with extreme ease, and scores with a powerful finish.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Left winger in 4-3-3.
2022 COSAFA Under-17 Championship runner-up with South Africa.
League summary (as for 11 May 2023):
South African Premier Division 2022/2023 (ongoing): 3 games/0 goals (Mamelodi Sundowns)
Siyabonga Mabena joined the Mamelodi Sundowns youth academy from Transnet School of Excellence in 2022. He is considered to be one of the most talented South African players in recent years. He made his professional debut on 14 March 2023 in a league fixture against Royal AM, becoming the fifth youngest debutant ever in the South African top flight. He’s also a regular youth international for his country and currently, he’s one of the leaders of South Africa U-17.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European league.