Country: South Africa
Date of birth: 23/10/2004 (18 years old)
Place of birth: Vaal (South Africa)
Youth career: SAFA-Transnet School of Excellence, Orlando Pirates (since 2022)
Current club: Orlando Pirates
Squad number: 38
Current national team: South Africa U-20
Position: attacking midfielder, winger, second striker
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): 100.000 €
Tournaments participated in: 2022 COSAFA U-20 Cup (4/2)
Contract until: unknown
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Neymar
– ball control
– off-the-ball movement
– consistency of his decision-making on the ball/still a little bit raw and mixes brilliant plays with heavy touches, passes and overambitious dribbles slightly too often
– physical development/player of a rather small frame who gets bullied off the ball quite easily
– better mid-range and long-range shooting skills would be a great addition to his skillset
Style of play:
– flamboyant winger/wide playmaker
– player with a low centre of gravity, superb acceleration, agility, flair, body balance, changes of pace, and coordination
– highly technical and creative offensive allrounder with many attacking qualities allowing him to play as a winger, advanced playmaker, and second striker
– mobile player who likes to play in a free attacking role, where he is granted the freedom to roam the pitch and find space
– likes to dribble
– spectacular and skillful player who likes to have the ball at his feet and is able to make the difference at any time thanks to his dribbling skills and ability to play the final ball
– likes to move from the wing into the central area of the pitch/half-spaces to combine with his teammates
– often uses his skills to beat defenders, cut inside and, create himself a decent opportunity to score from
– can move past opponents with extreme ease thanks to his fantastic motor skills and ‘quick feet’
– superb close control, footwork, and short dribbling skills in tight spaces
– above-average vision, passing skills, and playmaking ability/has many qualities of an advanced playmaker
– very strong in 1v1 situations and confident of his skills
– very dangerous on the counter thanks to his pace and attacking movement
– great ability at first touch/high speed in 1-2 combinations style of play
– his positioning and general defensive reliability are still improvable but he often wins the ball back thanks to his explosivity
– operates comfortably and is able to dribble and score with his weaker left foot
– competent direct and indirect set-piece taker
Ratomo enters the penalty area after a superb one-two and scores with a powerful finish.
Ratomo spots the movement of his teammate and plays a brilliant chipped pass.
Ratomos cuts inside, gets past his opponent with a quick feint, and sends a shot on target.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Left winger in 4-3-3.
2022 COSAFA U-20 Cup 3rd place with South Africa.
League summary (as for 7 June 2023):
South African Premier Division 2022/2023 (ongoing): 2 games/1 goal (Orlando Pirates)
Relebohile Ratomo joined Orlando Pirates from SAFA-Transnet School of Excellence in 2022. He is considered to be one of the most talented South African youngsters in recent years. He made his professional debut for Orlando Pirates on 3 May 2023 in the DStv Premiership game against Royal AM. He scored his first goal just two weeks later against AmaZulu FC.
“For me he is a special player, the things he does at training are mind-blowing, he is brave, he’s got a big heart despite his physical structure. He has a small structure and I speak about that because I am not the tallest player.”
(Kermit Erasmus – former South African international, Ratomo’s teammate)
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European league.