Full name in native alphabet: 佐藤 龍之介
Date of birth: 16/10/2006 (16 years old)
Place of birth: Japan
Youth career: FC Tokyo
Current club: FC Tokyo
Squad number: 52
Current national team: Japan U-17
Position: central midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): 50.000 €
Tournaments participated in: 2023 AFC U-17 Asian Cup (5/2)
Contract until: unknown
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Luka Modrić/Gavi
– ball control
– more accurate and powerful mid and long-range shooting skills would be a great addition to his skillset
– physical development/strength
– aerial duels
Style of play:
– roaming playmaker/advanced playmaker
– player of a small frame who’s very combative and is not afraid of physical duels with much larger and stronger opponents
– a very interesting mix of a box-to-box midfielder and playmaker
– tactically astute and technically capable of playing in various tactical systems
– an interesting option to develop into a good deep-lying orchestrator in the future and play deeper in midfield as the man who will be able to control the tempo of the game
– perfect player for a high-intensity and pressing team
– superb pace, agility, and coordination
– likes to be fielded in a free role in midfield, where he is given space to roam the pitch
– creative player with great technique on the ball, acceleration skills, fast direction shifts, short-dribbling, and good short-mid through passing ability
– likes to dribble
– very vertical mix of a ball carrier and passer/often creates numerical superiority with his progressive runs and passes
– high football IQ and spatial awareness
– mobile and energetic player who covers a lot of space and often is an additional passing option
– player with a great vision to execute killer passes and set up goal-scoring opportunities for his teammates
– extremely dangerous on the counter thanks to his pace and movement
– feels very comfortable in quick combination and one-touch play
– great ball control and passing skills at top speed
– very good composure and retention skills under pressure/press-resistant player
– superb technique, footwork, and close control in tight spaces
– doesn not hesitate to track back and work for the team
– very combative and tenacious in the defensive phase
– good indirect set-piece taker
Sato provides a superb assist after a good counter-attacking run.
Sato spots the movement of his teammate and provides an assist with a brilliant pass.
Sato makes a surging run into the penalty area, but his shot lacks power and precision.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Central midfielder in 4-3-3.
2023 AFC U-17 Asian Cup winner with Japan.
League summary (as for 1 August 2023):
No senior team appearances yet.
Ryunosuke Sato is considered to be one of the most talented U17s in Asia. He made his professional debut for FC Tokyo on 8 March 2023 in the J.League Cup game against Cerezo Osaka. In June 2023, he was one of Japan’s at the AFC U-17 Asian Cup, where young Samurais won the gold medal in great style and showed a very interesting generation of players such as Keita Kosugi, Yumeki Yoshinaga, Gaku Nawata, Yutaka Michiwaki, Ryunosuke Yada, Shuto Nagano, and Yotaro Nakajima.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European league.