Gael Álvarez: the potential superstar of the World Cup U-17 by Archie Berry
Full Name: Gael Arturo Álvarez Montiel
Place of Birth: Guasave, Mexico
Date of Birth (Age): 09-03-2006 (17)
Height (CM): 170
Youth Career: Tuzos Guasave, CF Pachuca
Current Club: CF Pachuca
Key Tournaments: Future Cup, U17 World cup
National Team: Mexico U17
Position: Attacking Midfielder, Winger
Preferred Foot: Right
Weak Foot: 4/5
Market Value: –
Clubs Interested: Feyenoord Rotterdam FC, Ajax Amsterdam
Player Comparison: Neymar, Soufiane Boufal
- Dribbling (Very Strong)
- Acceleration (Very Strong)
- Technique (Very Strong)
- Ball Control (Very Strong)
- Flair (Very Strong)
- Balance (Very Strong)
- Creativity (Strong)
- Ball Striking (Strong)
- Pace (Strong)
- Passing (Strong)
- Finishing (Strong)
- Weak foot finishing
- Defensive contribution
Style of Play:
– extremely advanced dribbler, with great technical ability and a flurry of 1v1 dribbling skills. Gael is best utilised off the left as an inverted winger, when teammates find him out-wide, he stars in the 1v1 duels specifically
– he has extremely strong acceleration skills, which allows him to easily beats defenders; in Mexican football media, he has been nicknamed Gael ‘Spedia’ Álvarez
– possesses good mid-range, long-range shooting abilities
– he also has the ability to execute flair finishes, having displayed these skills in Ajax’s future cup.
– excellent ball striking ability
– he is extremely effective at carrying his team from the penetration zone into the finishing zone
– very good at beating his man, getting into the attacking half-space to find either a crossing or shooting opportunity; the ability to do this is extremely valuable to his team, as defending opponents in the half-spaces is very difficult
– very confident, always showing for the ball and looking to find himself in 1v1 duels
– excellent balance, coordination and changes of pace
– all-action and energetic
Gael Álvarez is best suited to a left winger position, as he is extremely effective in 1v1 scenarios. Gael can either beat his man and find a cross down the outside or cut in and use his strong mid-range, long-range shooting skills.
These two images show Álvarez winning back position for his team after great transitional defending play from him. Álvarez beats his defender displaying his acceleration and dribbling skills and finds a great pass into the box, creating an excellent goal scoring opportunity for his teammate.
Another example from the same game, where Álvarez attacks the half space, and this time finds an excellent finish at the near post to put his team 3-1 up vs Monchengladbach at the Future cup.
This image is one of many where Álvarez has displayed his excellent ball striking and ability to use flair finishing in game scenarios. This attempt ended in a goal for his national side Mexico U17.
Gael Álvarez, a highly promising young winger, is a name that should excite El Tri fans as he prepares to make his mark in the upcoming U17 Football World Cup. His prowess in 1v1 situations is truly remarkable, owing to his exceptional dribbling, balance, and acceleration. This combination of skills makes defending against him a daunting task for any opponent. Gael’s ability to exploit the half spaces on the field stands out, enabling him to create clear-cut opportunities for his teammates. While he possesses a strong shooting technique, his effectiveness could be enhanced by utilizing his less-favoured left foot. His game exudes a natural flair that captivates all who watch him, making him an immensely entertaining player. In summary, Gael’s skill set suggests that he has the potential to excel at the highest levels of European football. His talents have already captured the attention of Eredivisie leaders Feyenoord, a league that has proven to be a fertile ground for young Mexican talents to develop, as exemplified by the success stories of Chucky Lozano, Santiago Gimenez, and Edson Alvarez. Gael Álvarez is a rising star with the potential to follow in their footsteps.
9/10 rating – Top Level European club starter