Full name: Nunzio Engwanda-Ongena
Date of birth: 01/11/2007 (15 years old)
Place of birth: Belgium
Youth career: Anderlecht
Current club: Anderlecht
Squad number: 71
Current national team: Belgium U-20
Position: central defender, defensive midfielder
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: —
Contract until: 30.06.2026
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Marquinhos
– aerial duels
– a very complete profile for a centre-back of his age, who still needs to work hard on polishing his physical, technical and tactical attributes
Style of play:
– complete and dominant centre-back
– player with good body mass ratio, athleticism, and power who can develop very well physically in the near future
– versatile defender able to play in various tactical systems/able to play in a three-man line or even cover the full-back position if needed
– can also play higher as a holding midfielder/midfield destroyer
– fast, proactive, and dynamic with excellent reactions
– excellent range of passing at all distances
– cultured passer with a superb ball-playing ability and proclivity for breaking the lines with intricate vertical balls
– likes to maraud forward with the ball at his feet and assess options on the move
– very good composure and retention skills under pressure
– known for his good timing, understanding of the game, and an above-average technical capacity
– not the tallest, but he’s a very strong player for his size and age, who knows how to use his body to gain advantage/wins most of the physical duels
– accurate and tenacious tackler, both standing and sliding
– concentrated, intelligent, and committed player with a very good rate of individual and collective work
– excellent recovery pace and determination when tracking back
– dominant in the air, despite is average height
Engwanda reacts quickly and stops a dangerous attack with a very good tackle.
Engwanda anticipates very well and cuts a dangerous pass.
Engwanda marauds forward with the ball at his feet and plays a superb line-breaking pass to his forward.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Central defender in 4-3-3.
League summary (as for 14 November 2023):
Challenger Pro League 2023/2024 (ongoing): 12 games/0 goals (RSCA Futures)
Nunzio Engwanda’s journey commenced at the age of 6 when he joined Neerpede, the renowned Anderlecht youth academy. Sporting prowess runs in his family as his older brother Alonzo also shines as a skilled footballer, proudly representing Les Mauves. Nunzio’s inaugural moment with the Anderlecht reserves arrived on the 11th of August, 2023, during a second division encounter against Beerschot. A mere 15 years, 8 months, and 11 days old, he etched his name into the annals of Belgian football history as the youngest player to grace the professional stage. His talent knows no bounds, as evidenced by his consistent role as a youth international for Belgium. Embarking on his journey with the U-15 team, he’s demonstrated remarkable potential, even making an appearance in the U-20 setup, defying his tender age.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European league.