Date of birth: 23/01/2002 (17 years old)
Place of birth: Zagreb (Croatia)
Youth career: NK Tresnjevka, Dinamo Zagreb (since 2010)
Current club: Dinamo Zagreb
Squad number: —
Current national team: Croatia U-19
Position: central defender, left-back
Preferred foot: left
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): 300.000 €
Tournaments participated in: 2019 UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification elite round (2/1)
Contract until: 18.01.2022
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Lucas Hernandez
– tackling and intercepting
– aerial duels
No significant weaknesses.
Style of play:
– complete and dominant central defender
– player with good body mass ratio, physical strength, power, stamina and natural fitness who feels comfortable in contact situations
– able to play as a left-back as well, making him a more versatile and well-rounded player
– modern defender, who combines strength with good technique, pace and passing
– strong left foot also helps in the balance of the team when paired up with a right-footer
– feels comfortable and has a good composure on the ball, making part of the team’s build-up process at the first instances
– able to play in a three-man defensive line system
– well-fit, hard-working, and quick at anticipating the movement of the opponents
– does not panic under pressure/keeps possession and properly starts attacks when the situation calls for it
– accurate, concentrate and tenacious tackler
– likes to spread play with good long-range diagonals
– dominant in the air
– high tackling and interception rate
– able to control the threat of the attacker without causing an imbalance in the defensive line
Gvardiol outpaces the attacker and intercepts the ball.
Gvardiol advances with the ball and plays a good diagonal pass to his winger.
He is best suited to playing as:
Central defender in 4-3-3.
League summary (as for 22 October 2019):
2. HNL 2019/2020 (ongoing): 3 games/0 goals (Dinamo II)
1. HNL 2019/2020 (ongoing): 1 game/0 goals (Dinamo)
Josko Gvardiol is Dinamo Zagreb’s youth product. He is regarded as one of the most talented young players of his generation in Croatia along with Jurica Jurčec, Gabriel Groznica, Stipe Biuk, and Jakov-Anton Vasilj. He made his professional debut for Dinamo on 18 October 2019 in a league fixture against HNK Gorica. Despite being only 17, he already represents Croatia at under-19 level. In 2019, he featured on a list entitled “TOP 60 young talents in world football” by The Guardian.
“Affectionately nicknamed Pep, the left-footed youngster has more than just a name to draw interest of his near-namesake (and other top managers). “If he’s not a regular for Croatia senior squad by the time he’s 20, someone should go to jail for it,” says Dalibor Poldrugac, his coach at the Dinamo academy, who came up with the idea of using him as a centre-back rather than full-back. Gvardiol idolizes Virgil van Dijk (“the best in the position”) and is an advanced defender, strong both physically and technically; although coaches mark his dedication and work ethic as his best features. Has already played in the Uefa Youth League and, as a member of Dinamo’s B team, in the Croatian second division. Due to make his full debut sooner rather than later.”
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Player has the potential to become a key player in a top European club.