Date of birth: 01/02/2004 (17 years old)
Place of birth: Stockholm (Sweden)
Youth career: Hammarby IF
Current club: Hammarby IF
Squad number: 44
Current national team: Sweden U-19
Position: defensive midfielder, central midfielder, attacking midfielder
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): 900.000 €
Tournaments participated in: —
Contract until: 30.06.2024
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Frank Lampard
– ball control
– first touch
– off the ball movement
– long shots
No significant weaknesses.
Style of play:
– box-to-box midfielder with good playmaking skills
– complete midfielder naturally adept in several positions who is capable of aiding his team offensively as well as defensively
– player with very good body mass ratio, physical strength, power, stamina and natural fitness who feels comfortable in contact situations
– intelligent player, who finds the space well between the lines
– very good pace, coordination, and footwork for a player of his size
– midfielder that imposes himself on the pitch with his physicality, work rate, and determination
– extremely difficult to knock off the ball thanks to his size, technique, and close control
– elegant on the ball and calm under pressure
– has the technique, ability, and confidence to execute the killer passes and set-up goal-scoring opportunities for his teammates
– above-average decision making/good feeling of when to speed up the play with progressive passes or runs and when to slow down to retain possession
– great tactical and spatial awareness
– good in combination play
– able to make effective late runs into opposite penalty box lurking for a chance to exploit his shooting skills
– good reaction to the loss of the ball with good aggressive attitude, and good recovery of his position
– tactically astute and technically capable of playing in various tactical systems
– decent in the air
– very accomplished for his age
Swedberg arrives late in the penalty area, controls the ball with a very good first touch, and scores with a great half-volley.
Swedberg shows his fantastic vision and makes a superb line-breaking pass to his teammate on the wing.
He is best suited to playing as:
Central midfielder in 4-3-3.
League summary (as for 8 October 2021):
Ettan 2020: 16 games/0 goals (Frej)
Ettan 2021: 11 games/1 goal (Hammarby Talang)
Allsvenskan 2021 (ongoing): 12 games/1 goal (Hammarby)
Williot Swedberg joined Hammarby IF youth academy at the age of 7. In 2020, he was sent on loan to Hammarby’s affiliated club IK Frej in the 3rd tier, where he made his debut in senior football. He made his official debut for Hammarby on 11 July 2021 in a league fixture against Degerfors IF – he came from the bench in the 79th minute and scored just two minutes later. In August 2021, Swedberg signed his first professional contract with Hammarby until 2024. He was the only Swede to feature on a list entitled “Next Generation 2021: 60 of the best young talents in world football” by The Guardian.
“Williot Swedberg sure has pedigree. His father, Hans Eskilsson, was an attacker who played for the national team and Sporting before switching position to full-back, playing more than 300 games in total. His mother Malin won titles in Sweden, as well as 78 caps and a World Cup bronze medal. She was Sweden’s player of the year in 1996. Williot Swedberg made his top-flight debut as a substitute for Hammarby in July 2021 and scored after a few minutes, later adding an assist for good measure in front of his emotional dad. The 17-year-old has had ups and downs since then but has great technique and his passing is top class. The family has spent a lot of winters in Valencia, and Swedberg has had quite a lot of his football education there. Has attracted interest from abroad but signed a new three-year deal with Hammarby instead.”
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Player has the potential to become a key player in a top European club.