Date of birth: 09/02/2005 (16 years old)
Place of birth: Breda (Netherlands)
Youth career: VV Baronie, Feyenoord (since 2011)
Current club: Feyenoord
Squad number: —
Current national team: Netherlands U-17
Position: defensive midfielder, central midfielder
Preferred foot: left
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: Syrenka Cup 2021
Contract until: 30.06.2023
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Xaver Schlager
– ball control
– off the ball movement
– needs to improve his strength to endure stronger players
Style of play:
– box-to-box midfielder with good playmaking skills
– complete midfielder naturally adept in several positions who is capable of aiding his team offensively as well as defensively
– intelligent player, who finds the space well between the lines
– very good pace, coordination, and footwork
– midfielder that imposes himself on the pitch with his work rate, passing, and ability to read the game
– extremely difficult to knock off the ball thanks to his technique and close control
– elegant on the ball and calm under pressure
– above-average decision making/good feeling of when to speed up the play with progressive passes or runs and when to slow down to retain possession
– likes to make off-the-ball runs into spaces, especially down the left wing where he can exploit his good crossing ability
– great tactical and spatial awareness
– very good in combination play
– likes to make effective late runs into the opposite penalty box
– effective out of possession, makes many interceptions thanks to astute positioning and intelligent use of his frame
– aggressive and tenacious tackler
– equally useful in combinational and counterattacking style
Kleijn makes a very good run through the middle, makes a quick combination with his teammate, and plays a very good ball to the wing.
Kleijn intercepts the ball, makes a good run down the wing, and provides an assist after a superb cross.
He is best suited to playing as:
Central midfielder in 4-3-3.
Syrenka Cup 2021 winner with the Netherlands.
League summary (as for 25 December 2021):
No senior team appearances yet.
Mike Kleijn joined Varkenoord, the famous Feyenoord youth academy, at the age of 6. He is one of the leaders of an extremely interesting generation of Dutch players born in 2005 which includes, among others Antoni Milambo, Julian Rijkhoff, Gabriel Misehouy, David Kalokoh, Silvano Vos, Isaac Babadi, Jason van Duiven, Emmanuel van de Blaak, Alvaro Henry, Jayden Slory, and Ilias Splinter.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European club.