Youth career: SC Villa
Current club: SC Villa
Squad number: —
Current national team: Uganda
Position: central midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger
Preferred foot: left
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: 2019 CECAFA U15 Championship, 2020 CECAFA U17 Championship, 2023 U-20 Africa Cup of Nations (4/0)
Contract until: unknown
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Xherdan Shaqiri/Rafinha Alcântara
– ball control
– long shots
– work rate
– player of a small frame who’s combative, not afraid of contact duels, and shields the ball well, but gets bullied physically quite often
– needs to work on the composure and consistency of his decision-making in the final third
– wins the ball back quite often thanks to his explosiviness but his defensive positioning and pressing play are rather chaotic
– rather one–footed but tries to operate with his weaker right foot which I find very positive
Style of play:
– advanced playmaker
– able to play on the right wing as well as the mix of wide playmaker and winger
– player with a low centre of gravity, superb agility, flair, changes of pace, and coordination
– creative player with very good technique on the ball, mobility, acceleration skills, fast direction shifts, short-dribbling, and good short-mid through passing ability
– very vertical player who likes to have the ball at his feet and speed up the game with his dribbling or passing skills/very capable of pushing his team forward to finishing positions
– likes to roam around in the space between the opposition’s midfield and defence
– likes to be given a free role to roam the pitch and find space
– likes to attack from the wing/half-space (mostly right), cut inside, and create himself a decent opportunity to score or combine with teammates
– possesses a truly futsal-esque technique when running with the ball and dribbling
– his fantastic close control, footwork, body balance, and ‘quick feet’ that allow him to drift past defenders with ease
– likes to try unconventional things and often attempts killer balls in the final third
– possesses powerful and accurate mid and long-range shooting skills
– able to dribble and make quick combinations with his teammates at top speed
– displays a natural technique to take fast decisions in small spaces/under pressure
– very positive on the ball, unpredictable, and confident of his skills
– extremely dangerous on the counter thanks to his pace and movement
– excellent ability at first touch/high speed in 1-2 combinations style of play
– all-action and energetic
– gets fouled often
– direct and indirect set-piece specialist
Mutyaba controls the ball, makes a quick decision, and attempts an extremely dangerous shot on target.
Mutyaba creates a big chance after a good counter-attacking run.
While being at top speed, Mutyaba creates a big chance with a very good pass.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Attacking midfielder in 4-2-3-1.
2019 CECAFA U15 Championship winner with Uganda.
2020 CECAFA U17 Championship winner with Uganda.
2020 CECAFA U17 Championship Best Player Award.
League summary (as for 3 May 2023):
Travis Mutyaba is one of the biggest Ugandan talents in recent years. He is one of the leaders of an interesting generation of Ugandan U20s which includes, among others Isma Mugulusi, Titus Ssematimba, Rogers Mugisha, Ibrahim Juma, and John Paul Dembe. Travis made his senior international debut aged only 16 on 18 January 2022 in a friendly game against Moldova.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Country-scale star with top European league ambition.