Country: Germany/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Date of birth: 22/05/1998 (18 years old)
Place of birth: Hamm (Germany)
Youth career: Borussia Dortmund
Current club: Borussia Dortmund
Squad number: 31
Current national team: Germany U-18
Position: defensive midfielder, central midfielder, wide midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger
Preferred foot: left
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: 2015 UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification elite round (1/0), 2015 UEFA European Under-17 Championship (4/0), 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup (4/0)
Contract until: 30.06.2018
Player’s agent: International Soccer Management
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Granit Xhaka
– technique and ball control
– tactical intelligence
– his passing game might be a bit too risky and at times
Style of play:
– midfield controller
– versatile player who can play multiple positions effectively when needed
– good tackler, and a tactically intelligent midfielder, gifted with good ball skills, distribution, vision, and ability to read the game
– likes to play through balls
– likes to spread play with good long-range diagonals
– likes to come deep to get ball and dictate tempo
– very good in combination play
– impacts the game at both the ends of the pitch
– likes to orchestrate play with his passing and creativity
– possesses good positional and tactical sense, often dropping back to the defensive line to double his teammates position if the situation requires it
– constantly asking for the ball and often is an additional passing option
– finds himself best in positional attack
– accurate set-piece taker
– high number of touches and passes per game
He is best suited to playing as:
Central midfielder in 4-2-3-1.
2015 UEFA European Under-17 Championship runner-up with Germany.
Bundesliga U17 2014/2015 winner with Borussia Dortmund.
Bundesliga U19 2015/2016 winner with Borussia Dortmund.
League summary (as for 9 July 2016):
No senior team appearances yet.
Dzenis Burnic is a product of Borussia Dortmund youth academy. He was one of the key players in the Borussia U-17 and U-19 teams, which won the German championship in 2015 and 2016, respectively. Other noteworthy players from his generation include Felix Passlack, Christian Pulisic, Janni Serra, Jacob Bruun Larsen and Mohamed El-Bouazzati. Born in Germany, he played for the country’s team when it took the second place in the European U-17 Championship in 2015. However, his parents come from Bosnia and it is not entirely unlikely that he may choose to represent his ancestors’ country in the future.
“Dzenis Burnic is an extremely highly rated defensive midfielder or deep playmaker who plays for Borussia Dortmund. Despite his talents his position in this German U-17 team is not guaranteed. He is not an automatic starter and when he is it is sometimes in as varied positions as left wing, left back, or even central defense. Regardless of this I still rate him within the top 3 most talented players in the group.
He is at his best playing as a number 6. For Dortmund, everything goes though him due to his outstanding passing range, quality in tight situations and ability to set the tempo of the game from deep.
Burnic is an excellent tactical player who really seems to understand the needs of a game. His creative passing is excellent and he creates many opportunities with his vision. He is a good ball carrier too when he needs to influence the game further up the field.
Burnic’s only flaw is that he sometimes seems to lose concentration and his passing can be sloppy. This why explain why he is not an automatic starter for Germany at number 6. However if he can iron out that sloppiness, he certainly has the potential to be a top player for Dortmund and Germany.”
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European club.