Full name: Leandro Fernandes da Cunha
Date of birth: 25/12/1999 (16 years old)
Place of birth: Nijmegen (Netherlands)
Youth career: Quick, NEC Nijmegen, PSV Eindhoven (since 2013)
Current club: PSV Eindhoven
Squad number: —
Current national team: Netherlands U-17
Position: defensive midfielder, central midfielder, attacking midfielder
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: 2016 UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification elite round (2/0), 2016 UEFA European Under-17 Championship (4/0), Future Talents Cup 2014/2015
Contract until: 30.06.2018
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: AS Roma, AC Milan
Similar type of player: Bastian Schweinsteiger
– crossing and long balls
– pace and acceleration
– positional sense
No significant weaknesses.
Style of play:
– creative box-to-box midfielder with playmaking skills
– versatile player comfortable with the ball at his feet who can play any midfield position
– known for his movement, positional sense, ability to interpret the game, pace, mobility and energy
– plays well under pressure
– likes to spread play with good long-range diagonals
– provides dynamism to the team’s build up process
– often makes pacy, energetic runs with the ball through the middle
– impacts the game at both the ends of the pitch
– able to produce powerful and dangerous runs up field on the counter attack
– high number of touches and passes per game
– excellent vision and ability to read the game
– constantly asking for the ball and often is an additional passing option
– often drops deeper and is involved in the buildup of plays
– likes to make late runs into penalty box
– competent set-piece taker
He is best suited to playing as:
Central midfielder in 4-3-3.
Eredivisie U-17 2015/2016 winner with PSV.
League summary (as for 20 August 2016):
No senior team appearances yet.
Leandro Fernandes joined the famous PSV Eindhoven youth academy in 2013 from NEC Nijmegen. Currently he is considered to be one of the most talented young midfielders in Holland. In 2015-16 season he won the U-17 Dutch title with ‘Boeren’, where he was one of the most important players alongside Joël Piroe, Gianluca Scamacca, Cody Gakpo, Justin Lonwijk, Michal Sadilek and Jordan Teze. He is also a regular ‘Oranje’ youth international, having earned over 30 caps already – which is very impressive for a 16-year old.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
First team material in a top European club.