Date of birth: 19/05/2003 (17 years old)
Place of birth: Décines-Charpieu (France)
Youth career: AS Villefontaine, FC Bourgoin-Jallieu, Olympique Lyonnais
Current club: Olympique Lyonnais
Squad number: 17
Current national team: France U-17
Position: central defender, right-back
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: —
Contract until: 30.06.2023
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Kyle Walker
– pace and acceleration
– ball control
No significant weaknesses.
Style of play:
– complete full-back
– player with good body mass ratio, physical strength, power, stamina and natural fitness who feels comfortable in contact situations
– very good agility and coordination, with great pace at all distances
– able to play as a central defender or even defensive midfielder if needed
– often looks to burst forward to offer width to the attacking movement in the final third
– very good technique, ball control, and passing skills/perfect full-back for a team looking to build from the back
– likes to cross
– accurate and tenacious tackler
– equally competent offensively as defensively
– superb dribbling skills, first touch and close control in limited spaces
– extremely dangerous on the counter thanks to his pace and acceleration
– high work rate and winning mentality
– known for his “quick feet”, speed of movement and close control
– endless energy and his powerful running make him an incredibly useful asset as he brings an offensive value to a team, with a lot of activity during 90 minutes on the right side
– great timing and game reading ability when going forward
Gusto makes a last-man tackle and starts the counter-attack.
Gusto outpaces his opponent and intercepts the ball.
He is best suited to playing as:
Right-back in 4-3-3.
League summary (as for 16 February 2021):
Ligue 1 2020/2021 (ongoing): 1 game/0 goals (Lyon)
Malo Gusto joined Olympique Lyonnais youth academy from FC Bourgoin-Jallieu in 2016. He signed his first professional contract with the club in December 2020. he made his professional debut just one month later in a derby game against Saint-Étienne. He is part of a very interesting generation of French players born in 2003 which includes, among others Rayan Cherki, Lucas Gourna-Douath, Warren Bondo, Hannibal Mejbri, Lenny Lacroix and Lisandru Tramoni.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Player has the potential to become a key player in a top European club.