Full name: Carlos Roberto Forbs Borges
Date of birth: 19/03/2004 (18 years old)
Place of birth: Sintra (Portugal)
Youth career: NADC Sintra, Sporting CP, Manchester City (since 2014)
Current club: Manchester City
Squad number: 91
Current national team: Portugal U-19
Position: winger, second striker
Preferred foot: left
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: 2022 UEFA European Under-19 Championship qualification elite round (2/0), UEFA Youth League 2021/2022 (1/1), UEFA Youth League 2022/2023 (5/4)
Contract until: 30.06.2024
Player’s agent: PCR Sports
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Moussa Diaby/Pedro Neto
– ball control
– off-the-ball movement
– even though he’s very prolific and is better in this aspect than most of his peers, I still see room for improvement when it comes to his decision-making on the ball
– frequency of using his right weaker foot
– aerial duels
Style of play:
– inside forward
– player with a diminutive figure with a stocky build, low centre of gravity, and good physical strength for a player of his size
– equally good on both wings
– could be an interesting option to play as an advanced striker in a counter-attacking style
– blistering pace and acceleration
– great agility, body balance, changes of pace, and coordination
– very good technical ability, 1vs1 short-dribbling skills, close ball control, fast direction shifts in possession
– player that always tries to find a vertical option in his game, so he is very capable of pushing his team forward to finishing positions
– likes to play a direct style by running straight at defenders with pace
– likes to dribble
– likes to try powerful and dangerous flat crosses and cutbacks
– unpredictable player who likes to vary his play by cutting inside, entering the penalty area, making quick combinations with his teammates, running to the by-line, or swapping wings
– above-average instinct and finishing skills in the final third
– spectacular player able to make solo dribbling runs to beat the defensive line and make a difference at any time
– creative at his off-the-ball movements and likes to find the best space to receive the ball with good timings
– incredibly explosive over the first meters/phenomenal motor skills
– very strong in 1v1 situations, positive with the ball at his feet, and confident of his skills
– mobile and skillful at beating his markers and evading pressure
– extremely dangerous on the counter thanks to his electric pace and acceleration
– likes to make quick one-twos with his teammates
– likes to make effective off-the-ball/shoulder runs to beat the defensive line
– able to dribble and make quick combinations with his teammates at top speed
– extremely difficult to knock off the ball thanks to his low centre of gravity and excellent close control
– his defensive positioning and reliability are still very much improvable but he often tracks back to help in the defensive phase and is able to dispossess opponents thanks to his explosiveness
– all-action and energetic
– he rather avoids using it but is able to score and pass comfortably with his right weaker foot
Borges with a surging run into the penalty area, he uses his pace and strength to get past his opponent, and scores.
Borges outsmarts the defence with a superb off the ball move and scores with a clinical finish.
Borges loses his markers, enters the penalty area, and provides an assist with a very good pass.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Left winger in 4-3-3.
Premier League U-18 2020/2021 winner with Manchester City.
Manchester City U-18 2020/2021 player of the season.
Premier League U-18 2021/2022 winner with Manchester City.
Premier League 2 2021/2022 winner with Manchester City.
League summary (as for 15 February 2023):
No senior team appearances yet.
Carlos Borges joined the Manchester City academy from Sporting CP in 2014. He’s been one of City youth’s biggest stars in recent years – since 2020 he scored 48 goals and provided 37 assists in 69 games for The Citizens U-18 and U-21 teams. He is also a regular youth international for Portugal and currently he’s one of the key players of the U-19 setup.
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Player has the potential to become a key player in a top European club.