Date of birth: 23/03/2006 (16 years old)
Place of birth: Hungary
Youth career: Puskás Akadémia
Current club: Puskás Akadémia
Squad number: —
Current national team: Hungary U-17
Position: defensive midfielder, central midfielder
Preferred foot: left
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: —
Contract until: unknown
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Ismaël Bennacer
– ball control
– physical development/strength
– 1vs1 defensive duels and general defensive reliability
– aerial duels
Style of play:
– roaming playmaker
– able to play and has many qualities of a deep-lying orchestrator as well
– agile and mobile player
– knows how to dictate tempo and has the natural ability of an ‘orchestrator’ midfielder who can perform at all midfield positions creating dynamism in the team’s build-up process
– constantly asking for the ball and often is an additional passing option
– excellent range of passing at all distances
– likes to spread play with good long-range diagonals
– composed and quite elegant on the ball
– intelligent player with good positional sense and spatial awareness who finds the space well between the lines
– decent ability at first touch/high speed in one-two combinations with his teammates
– above-average composure and retention skills under pressure
– good close control and footwork in tight spaces
– even if his efficiency in the defensive phase is still very much improvable, also due to his physicality, he is tenacious and hardworking when out of possession/pressing
– good indirect set-piece taker
– accurate penalty taker
– operates quite comfortably with his right weaker foot
– good leadership skills/captain material
Under pressure, Kern plays a superb through ball to his teammate.
Kern orchestrates the play with his vision and passing skills.
Kern shows his tenacity and stops the attack with a superb timing tackle.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Central midfielder in 4-2-3-1.
League summary (as for 15 February 2023):
Nemzeti Bajnokság I 2022/2023 (ongoing): 1 game/0 goals (Puskás Akadémia)
Martin Kern is a product of the Puskás Akadémia youth academy. He is considered to be one of the most interesting teenagers in Hungary. He made his professional debut on 12 February 2023 in a league fixture against Zalaegerszegi – at the age of 16 years, 10 months and 20 days he became Puskás Akadémia’s second youngest player ever to play in the league just after Balázs Bakti. He is also a regular youth international for Hungary – he started at the U-16 level and now he’s one of the leaders of the U-17 setup along with other talented players such as Zétény Varga, Ádám Bagi, Noah Fenyö, Csaba Molnár, Bence Balabás, Tamás Galántai, and Patrik Farkas.
“Martin Kern has been dominant at every youth level at Puskás Akadémia FC and the Hungarian national team over the last few years. Kern has been the captain at both club and country and has been the most important player in midfield. Left-footed, there are some comparisons to Germany’s Joshua Kimmich. Strong on the ball, Kern still needs to become stronger to play at the highest level.”
Football Talent Scout potential rating:
Country-scale star with top European league ambition.