Full name: Tanguy Nianzou Kouassi
Date of birth: 07/06/2002 (17 years old)
Place of birth: Paris (France)
Youth career: PSG
Current club: PSG
Squad number: —
Current national team: France U-17
Position: central defender, defensive midfielder
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: UEFA Youth League 2018/2019 (6/0), 2019 UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification elite round (3/0), 2019 UEFA European Under-17 Championship (4/0), 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup (7/1)
Contract until: unknown
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Virgil van Dijk
– aerial duels
– tackling and intercepting
No significant weaknesses.
Style of play:
– complete, elegant and dominant centre-back
– modern defender, who combines strength with good technique and passing
– player with very good body mass ratio, physical strength, power, stamina and natural fitness who feels comfortable in contact situations
– comfortable to play as a RCB & LCB
– good pace, agility, and coordination for a player of his size
– great at finding passes through both the first and second line of pressing from the opposition
– known for his composure, confidence in possession, understanding of the game and an above-average technical capacity
– very good vision and passing skills also when it comes to breaking the lines with laser passes
– often wins the ball back by outmuscling players thanks to his significant upper-body strength
– accurate and tenacious tackler
– likes to maraud forward
– extremely dominant in the air
– indirect set-piece threat
– concentrated, determined and committed player with a very good rate of individual and collective work
Kouassi outmuscles his opponent and clears the ball.
Kouassi advances with the ball and plays a good diagonal ball to the wing with his weaker foot.
He is best suited to playing as:
Central defender in 4-3-3.
2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup third place with France.
League summary (as for 8 December 2019):
Ligue 1 2019/2020 (ongoing): 1 game/0 goals (PSG)
Tanguy Nianzou Kouassi is one of the most talented teenage defenders in Europe. He made his professional debut for PSG on 7 December 2019 in a league fixture against Montpellier. He was a fundamental player for France at the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup where young Les Bleus won the bronze medal. In 2019, he was one of five Frenchmen that featured on a list entitled “Next Generation 2019: 60 of the best young talents in world football” by The Guardian.
“I am very, very happy with this trophy,’ admitted Kouassi 12 months ago when he was named as Le Parisien newspaper’s young player of the year. Their hunch about the elegant defender seems to have been proved right, with the 17-year-old having been named on the bench four times already this season for Thomas Tuchel’s first team. Described as a natural successor to Laurent Blanc, Kouassi has captained most of the youth sides at PSG and excelled in the Uefa Youth League under coach Thiago Motta last term. Whether he can make the major breakthrough will depend on both club and player.”
Football Talent Scout potential rating: