Date of birth: 29/08/2005 (16 years old)
Place of birth: Martigues (France)
Youth career: ES Saint-Laurent-Blangy, RC Lens, Olympique Lyonnais (since 2018)
Current club: Olympique Lyonnais
Squad number: —
Current national team: France U-17
Position: central defender
Preferred foot: right
Market value (by transfermarkt.de): —
Tournaments participated in: Coupe Gambardella 2022 (4/2), 2022 UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualification elite round (2/0), 2022 UEFA European Under-17 Championship (4/0)
Contract until: unknown
Player’s agent: unknown
Transfer rumours: —
Similar type of player: Edmond Tapsoba
– aerial duels
– needs to improve his concentration balance during the matches to avoid simple and costly mistakes/can be a little bit too nonchalant sometimes (which will likely improve with age and experience)
Style of play:
– complete, dominant, and elegant central defender
– perfect mix of a pure defender and ball-playing centre-back
– can also play as a defensive midfielder if needed thanks to his good ball skills
– tall player with excellent body mass ratio, physical strength, power, stamina, and natural fitness who feels very comfortable in contact situations
– decent pace and coordination for a player of his size
– able to play as a right and left-sided centre-back in a four-man defensive line
– modern defender, who combines strength with good technique and passing
– very good reading of the game and anticipation
– known for his composure, positional sense, confidence in possession, and understanding of the game
– likes to spread play with good long-range diagonals
– likes to maraud forward with the ball at his feet and assess passing options on the move
– does not dive into tackles
– knows how to used advantage of his physicality and often wins the ball back by outmuscling the opponents/wins most of the physical duels
– extremely dominant in the air
– aerial threat in the opposition box during the set-pieces
– tenacious in challenges with a high percentage of duels won
– operates very comfortably with his left weaker foot
– mature with good leadership skills/potential captain in the future
Sarr wins the 1vs1 duel and starts the counter attack.
Sarr anticipates the movement of his opponent and wins the ball back.
Heatmap by Wyscout:
He is best suited to playing as:
Central defender in 4-3-3.
Coupe Gambardella 2022 winner with Lyon.
2022 UEFA European Under-17 Championship winner with France.
League summary (as for 6 July 2022):
No senior team appearances yet.
Mamadou Sarr is the son of former Senegalese international Pape Sarr. Mamadou is considered to be one of the most talented players of his generation in France. He joined the famous Olympique Lyonnais youth academy from RC Lens in 2018. He showed himself to a wider crowd during the prestigious Coupe Gambardella 2022, where Lyon U-19 won the competition with many talented youngsters in squad such as Mohamed El Arouch, Mathieu Patouillet, Hugo Vogel, Yannis Lagha, Al Amin Aïd, Pape Fuhrer, and Breyton Fougeu. He is also a regular youth international for France and currently he’s one of the leaders of the U-17 team.
Football Talent Scout potential rating: